Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How to get your willful toddler to drink more water on hikes

When we were hiking on the Kaibab Trail, in the Grand Canyon, it was dry and I couldn't get Calvin to drink any water. He sealed his lips tight whenever I brought the water bottle to him.

Eventually I found a solution that's a little odd, but works. I filled my mouth with water and sprayed it in his face and hair. After the initial thrill of getting sprayed, he wanted revenge and was reaching out for the water. I gave it to him and he took a big swig, and sprayed some of it at me.  Then he took another drink, and just swallowed it.  I don't think he realized how thirsty he was until he got wet.

1 comment:

  1. That's a sweet picture of you too. Nice trick to get him to drink water even if it means getting yourself a little wet ;)

    ReplyDelete