Monday, April 20, 2009

False alarm in Chipewa National Forest

Quinn flew up to Minnesota for the weekend to visit us for the weekend and he brought the baby backpack. After spending the whole first day visiting Dad in the nursing home and cleaning his house, the second day I knew we needed to do something fun. We pulled off the highway where it said we were entering Chippewa National Forest and swtarted our hike.

The trail was blanketed in rotting leaves and circled a small lake. We followed the little wooden bridges over the swampy parts. It was so full of life, it was like a Northern Brazos Bend. I was kicking myself because every time I come to Minnesota I lose my camera, and this was no exception. I would love to take a picture of the beaver lodge on the edge of the lake, covered in ice that was turning grey and melting on the edges. There in the water under a bridge was a branch with teeth marks made by a beaver. I love beavers!

We gazed across the lake, enjoying ourselves, when we saw a truck pull into the parking lot alongside our car...it was a tow truck!

We didn't notice any signs saying that we needed a permit or needed to pay to be there. They couldn't just tow our car and leave us in the middle of the freaking forest, could they? Quinn unbuckled the backpack and handed Calvin to me and sprinted back to the car as fast as he could. I followed, much slower.

Luckily the tow truck drivers had just pulled in to look at a map and it had nothing to do with us at all. I wonder whether people react to tow truck drivers like that all the time.

1 comment:

  1. hahah. i hate feeling like your in trouble just because you see some kind of service/emergency truck in your vicinity, even if there's no real logical reason.

    http://winstonswin-shifts.blogspot.com/
    here is a link to my blog. i haven't updated it in a couple weeks, but after this weekend I will have some new material for sure. It was so great to see you and quinn and calvin and everybody! i was very happy to be able to be there. love ya!

    ReplyDelete