Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bamboozled by the sunglass man!

On our trip to Taos Quinn needed some sunglasses and so we waited for the sunglass shop to open before we left for our hike. Walking in there were displays for designers sunglasses and I was curious how this would go, since Quinn isn't really a designer sunglasses kind of guy.

The sales guy started to talk about the features of some of the pairs and caught on that Quinn was looking for the cheapest thing. He has a rack of $50 sunglasses 30% off. He said the thirty percent made them the same price as "these sunglasses," he said pointing to another rack, "and these are just the cheap plastic ones made in China."

I found myself hiding my own purple plastic pair behind my back - he had successfully planted the seeds of sunglass snobbery - I was wondering how my life would be different if I had a fancy pair of sunglasses.

Quinn bought the pair, and bragged about how stylin' he was half way up the hill. "It's a good thing I didn't get those cheap sunglasses made in China," he said. Then he looked at his frames and guess what was written there? "Made in China."

No comments:

Post a Comment